In 1631, William Claiborne came from Jamestown to establish an outpost for trading with Native Americans. Stevensville, founded slightly more than two-hundred years later, is the island’s largest town. The restored Stevensville Train Depot was a point of arrival for ferry boat passengers to access the Eastern Shore. Christ Church, founded just after Claiborne arrived, is home to Maryland’s oldest continuing congregation. The Chesapeake Country Scenic Byway and the American Discovery Trail both pass through the island.
The Kent Narrows, a slim channel to the east, separates Kent Island from the Delmarva Peninsula. On the western side, about four miles of the Chesapeake Bay separates it from Sandy Point, which is near Annapolis. Boat rentals are available on the island.
Visit the Kent Island web site.